EUROPEAN UNION MICRO PROJECTS (EU-MPP9) AND NIGER DELTA SUPPORT PRORAMME (NDSP4) IN ONDO STATE
The European Union – Micro Project Programme (EU-MPP9) is a development programme of the European Development Funds (EDF) that helps to provide infrastructural services, gender and community empowerment projects to alleviate poverty among communities in the 9 Niger States of Abia, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross-River, Delta, Edo, Imo, Ondo and Rivers .
- In Ondo State, the EU, in 2012, awarded 60 projects across the 18 Local government areas in the 3 senatorial districts of the State. The projects include 15 Water projects, 12 Educational Blocks, 9 Health Posts, 9, Civic centers, 9 Markets and 6 Agro-processing industries. The project have been re-awarded twice and so far, about 48 projects have been completed while the other projects are at various levels of completion.
- The EU-NDSP4 (Niger-Delta Support Programme, Component 4) which is an extension of the MPP9 in the 9 Niger Delta States is designed to support local communities’ development initiatives and conflict resolution through institutional reforms, capacity building and provision of infrastructural services. Under the first phase of the NDSP4, 69 projects spread across 3 Local Government Areas of Akoko North West, Ilajeand Ondo East have been slated for execution in which the implementation is expected to start in 2017. Thus far in 2018, 22 of the 23 projects awarded to Akoko North West LGA have been completed and handed over; 11 of the 23 projects awarded to Ondo East LGA have also been completed and handed over while others are at various levels of completion. Projects in Ilaje LGA are on-going and are yet to be handed over. The second phase of the programme is expected to start upon the completion of the first phase. 41 new additional projects have been recently awarded to the State to be sited in seven (7) new Local Government Areas, namely: Owo, Irele, Akure North, Ese-odo, Okitipupa, Ondo West and Ose. The newly awarded projects include: 2 health posts, 21 water projects, 7 agro-processing mills, 4 civic centres and 7 school blocks.
- The agreement of implementation of the EU programmes for each stakeholder is stated below:
- European Union
- Coordinates all activities under the project.
- Monitors and supervises the programme.
- Provides 50% of the fund.
B State Government
- Coordinate the execution of the programme in the state through the Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget.
- Ensure the payment of 25% counterpart funding by the Local Government.
- Establish the State Steering Committee.
- Monitor and Evaluate the Projects.
- Ensure that the projects are handed over after completion.
- Sign Memorandum of Understanding on the projects.
- Local Government
- Payment of 25% counterpart funding (i.e. provision of equipment and materials for the completed projects as well as personnel).
- Ensure that completed projects are put into use.
- Develop Community Action Plan of Programmes and Projects.
- Staff the projects.
- Contribution of 25% counterpart fund (i.e. Provision of land/site for projects).
- Make arrangement for the clearing of land/site for the project.
- Plant Agricultural products and fruits around the project area after completion.
- Provide security for materials and equipment of the contractor.
- Provide security during and after the handing over of the projects.
- Sustainability projects through regular maintenance.
3.Federal Ministry of Budget and National Planning (FMB&NP)
- Oversee the overall execution of the programme in the State
- Supervise the activities of the Contractor, Projects Managers, Chief Engineer as well as the Rural Infrastructure Engineer for the project.
- Liaise with Donor Partners
- The State Government has approved the waiver of Permits, approvals of plans and development or such kind during the construction of the NDSP4 projects in the State while the contractor had already commenced work on some of the sites. The Planning Department being the secretariat of the State Level Project Coordinating Committee will continue to monitor the projects and ensure that they are completed on time and handed over to the Communities.
Visit: EUROPEAN UNION (EU)