The board of internal revenue (BIR) is the apex government agency charge with the responsibility of superintending internally generated revenue (IGR) in Ondo state. It is a creation of the Personal Income Tax Act 2004(as amended).
Its statutory responsibilities are contained in Section 88 subsection listed below.
- Ensuring the effectiveness and optimum collection of all taxes and penalties due to the government under the relevant laws.
- Doing all such things as may be deemed necessary and expedient for the assessment and collection of taxes and shall account for all amounts so collected in a manner to be prescribed by the Commissioner.
- Appointing, promoting, transferring and imposing discipline on employees of the state service.
- Making recommendations where appropriate to the Joint Tax Board (JTB) on tax policy; tax reform; tax legislation: tax treaties and exception as m,ay be required, from time to time.
- Generally controlling the management of the State service on matter of policy subject to the provisions of the laws setting up the state service, and;
The composition of the Board are:
- the chairman, who is the executive head of the BIR
- the Secretary
- the Directors and HOD within the BIR
- the Legal Adviser.